Gabapentin is a structural analogue of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) that was first approved for use in the United States in 1993.16 It was originally developed as a novel anti-epileptic for the treatment of certain types of seizures14,5 – today it is also widely used to treat neuropathic pain.8,10 Gabapentin has some stark advantages as compared with other anti-epileptics, such as a relatively benign adverse effect profile, wide therapeutic index, and lack of appreciable metabolism making it unlikely to participate in pharmacokinetic drug interactions.5,3,16. It is structurally and functionally related to another GABA derivative, pregabalin.
Gabapentin is an anti-convulsant medication that inhibits the release of excitatory neurotransmitters, allowing for its use against pathologic neurotransmission such as that seen in neuropathic pain and seizure disorders.16,19 It has a wide therapeutic index, with doses in excess of 8000 mg/kg failing to cause a fatal reaction in rats.21
Gabapentin is ineffective in absence seizures and should be used in caution in patients with mixed seizure disorders involving absence seizures. Gabapentin has been associated with drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS), otherwise known as multi-organ hypersensitivity. This reaction can prove fatal and early symptoms such as fever, lymphadenopathy, and rash should be promptly investigated.
- Actavis elizabeth llc
- Amneal pharmaceuticals ny llc
- Apotex inc etobicoke site
- Aurobindo pharma usa inc
- Hikma pharmaceuticals
- Invagen pharmaceuticals inc
- Ivax pharmaceuticals inc sub teva pharmaceuticals usa
- Mutual pharmaceutical co inc
- Ranbaxy laboratories ltd
- Sandoz inc
- Sun pharmaceutical industries ltd
- Teva pharmaceuticals usa
- Watson laboratories inc
- Pfizer pharmaceuticals ltd
- Parke davis div warner lambert co
- Glenmark generics ltd
- Matrix laboratories ltd
- Teva pharmaceuticals usa inc
- 4uOrtho LLC
- Actavis Group
- Aidarex Pharmacuticals LLC
- Amerisource Health Services Corp.
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Apotex Inc.
- Apotheca Inc.
- A-S Medication Solutions LLC
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.
- Blenheim Pharmacal
- Blu Pharmaceuticals LLC
- Bryant Ranch Prepack
- Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- Comprehensive Consultant Services Inc.
- Corepharma LLC
- Coupler Enterprises Inc.
- Dispensing Solutions
- Diversified Healthcare Services Inc.
- Eon Labs
- Fusion Pharmaceuticals LLC
- Glenmark Generics Ltd.
- Golden State Medical Supply Inc.
- Greenstone LLC
- H.J. Harkins Co. Inc.
- Heartland Repack Services LLC
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Innoviant Pharmacy Inc.
- Ivax Pharmaceuticals
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital
- Keltman Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Lake Erie Medical and Surgical Supply
- Living Well Pharmacy Inc.
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Mckesson Corp.
- Medvantx Inc.
- Murfreesboro Pharmaceutical Nursing Supply
- Neuman Distributors Inc.
- Northstar Rx LLC
- Nucare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Palmetto Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- PCA LLC
- PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Center
- Pharmacy Service Center
- Physicians Total Care Inc.
- Preferred Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Prepak Systems Inc.
- Professional Co.
- Ranbaxy Laboratories
- Rebel Distributors Corp.
- Remedy Repack
- Resource Optimization and Innovation LLC
- Sandhills Packaging Inc.
- Southwood Pharmaceuticals
- St Mary’s Medical Park Pharmacy
- Stat Rx Usa
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- UDL Laboratories
- United Research Laboratories Inc.
- Vangard Labs Inc.
- Warner Lambert Company LLC
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals
|Tablet, coated||Oral||600 mg|
|Tablet, coated||Oral||800 mg|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||100 mg|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||300 mg|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||400 mg|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||600 MG|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||800 MG|
|Powder||Not applicable||1 g/1g|
|Tablet, coated||Oral||600 mg/1|
|Tablet, coated||Oral||800 mg/1|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||100 mg/1|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||400 mg/1|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||600 mg/1|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||600 mg/1001|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||800 mg/1|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral|
|Capsule, coated||Oral||300 mg|
|Capsule, coated||Oral||400 mg|
|Capsule, gelatin coated||Oral||300 mg|
|Capsule, gelatin coated||Oral||400 mg|
|Tablet, multilayer, extended release||Oral|
|Tablet, film coated||Oral||300 mg/1|
|Tablet, coated||Oral||100 mg|
|Tablet, coated||Oral||300 mg|