Proper use of any drug can give you maximum benefits whereas not taking the right dosages can lead to complications. Take Doxepin as directed by your physician and avoid taking it very often or for a prolonged period than recommended by your doctor.
You should read the instructions given on the label and in the medical guide that you get, along with the medicine. In case you have any questions you should ask your doctor.
If you are taking the oral liquid form of Doxepin
- Use the calibrated dropper provided with the medicine to measure the dose
- Take 4 ounces of water (one-half glass), skimmed or whole milk, grapefruit juice, prune juice, pineapple juice, tomato juice or orange juice to mix each dose. Avoid mixing this medicine with carbonated beverages or grape juice. Prepare the medicine mix just before you use it. Do not prepare it in advance.
To use Doxepin tablet
- Avoid taking this medicine at least for 3 hours after your meal. It may not show its effect or make you drowsy and sleepy until next day if you take the medicine with meal or just after the meal.
- Take the doxepin tablet half an hour before bedtime, when you are going to sleep.
- Avoid taking medicine if you can’t get 7-8 hours of sleep as if you wake up early you may feel drowsy.
The doxepin dose differs from person to person. Follow the instruction of your doctor or directions mentioned on the label. The information provided below gives you details of the average doses of doxepin. If you are using a different dose do not change your dose until and unless your doctor asks you to do so.
The amount of doxepin you use depends on the medicine’s strength and also on other factors like number of doses used each day, the time gap between two doses and duration after which you use the medicine solely depends on the specific medical problems for which you are taking doxepin.
Oral dosage- solution or capsules
For anxiety of depression
Adults and children aged 12 years and above
Initial dose: 75mg/day or in split doses throughout the day. You doctor will adjust the dose as required.
However the maximum dose should not exceed 150mg/per day
Oral dosage- tablets
Adults 6 mg/day
Initial dose – 3mg once in a day
Your doctor will adjust the dose as required.
In case you miss a Doxepin dose, take it as soon as it strikes your mind. If it is time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and follow the normal dosing schedule. Do not take extra dose to make up for the missed dose.
Use a closed container to store the medicine and keep it at room temperature away from direct light, moisture and heat. Keep the medicine away from children. Look for expiry date and do not use the medicine that crosses the expiry date.