Doxepin treats depression and anxiety safely
Doxepin is an antidepressant used to treat different types of depression like
- Refractory depression
- depression anxiety(mixed)
- major depression
- neurotic depression
- spontaneous endogenous(depression)
Doxepin is also used to treat other health ailments like itching, chronic skin problems, peptic ulcers, panic disorders, anxiety, postprandial hypoglycaemia, PTSD, sleep disorders, or to stop the craving for swelling, smoking, decreased urination happening at night. Doxepin is also used to manage chronic pain in arthritis, herpes lesions, diabetic disease, and pain in patients suffering from cancer, migraines, tic douloureux or tension headaches.
Generic Name is Doxepin Hydrochloride
It is supplied in the form of
Capsules : available in 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg,100 mg, 150mg
It takes around 1-2 weeks to see the full benefits of this medication.
Some important information
Doxepin is not a habit forming medication. If halted suddenly withdrawal syndromes are seen with the use of this medication. Avoid using this medicine if you are pregnant; try some other alternative non drug medications. Also avoid taking Doxepin if you are planning to conceive or breastfeeding. Avoid smoking while you are on this drug and also avoid drinking alcohol.
Avoid giving this medication to children below age of 12. If the patient is above 60 years of age, use small doses of this drug and monitor the patient closely for side effects and they should be extra careful while rising from sitting position as there are chances that elderly people fall while they are on this medication.
Do not use Doxepin if
- You are allergic to the drug.
- Used or using MAO inhibitors in past 14 days
- If you had an heart attack recently
- if you have narrow-angle glaucoma
Let your doctor know if
- You experience any negative reactions to Doxepin or other drug that belongs to same class in the past.
- You have a history of glaucoma, heart disease, epilepsy, diabetes, liver disease, enlarged prostate, overactive thyroid
- if you are using any prescription/non prescription drugs
- If you are undergoing any surgery or plan to get anaesthesia in couple of months ahead and also if you will have to undergo certain medical tests.
Is Doxepin addictive?
Doxepin is not an addictive antidepressant. Halting the use of Doxepin can lead to withdrawal symptoms like nausea and headache. Dosage should be reduced gradually to reduce withdrawal.
Doxepin treatment should not be stopped suddenly as the associated withdrawal symptoms can be serious. Therefore the dose adjustment should be done slowly. That is why some experts combine the dosage adjustment with all natural medications, which doesn’t react with Doxepin and provide desired relief while Doxepin dosage adjustment is carried out. To avoid the effects of withdrawal symptoms, programs are conducted especially for managing withdrawal symptoms wherein all natural medicines are given to reduce Doxepin dependency and through this program the patient finds it more comfortable to manage withdrawal symptoms. It helps the patients follow the right steps to avoid complications that occur as a result of severe withdrawal symptoms.